Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Student Movement (MGOCSM), the Youth-wing of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church is in its 75th year of active leadership and Christian witness in the Church and society. It contributes to the goodness and progress of the Church and community in the three-fold path of worship, study and service. It aims at moulding the minds and visions of the youth against the background of the contemporary issues. OCYM wing of our parish is a gathering of youth and it is the spiritual platform for demonstrating the talents of the young blood. The Vicar of the parish is the President of the unit. A committee, selected annually, headed by the Secretary carries out the routine activities of the unit.
The MGOCSM kick started the year 2016 with Fr. Kurian Baby joining our parish as the vicar and as the president of the MGOCSM. Mr. John Jesudasan was elected as the vice- president, Ms. Elsa Thomas was elected the secretary, Mr. John Easo as the treasurer and Mr. Livin Sajan was elected the Jt. Secretary. The MGOCSM got together to revamp the activities and meetings of the congregation under the leadership of Fr. Kurian Baby during the year 2016- 17. Apart from the activities, the MGOCSM members met on a regular basis to discuss and contemplate on the teachings of the bible. The highlights of the activities are as follows:
1. The Career Guidance Session for young minds: The MGOCSM arranged a seminar for the students studying in standard eight and above along with sessions for their parents. Mrs. Sujatha Abraham, professor of psychology at Xaviers Institute and Ms. Elsa Thomas, visiting faculty at St. Andrews College and R. D. National College, conducted the sessions for our young minds on how can one study better, career prospects , etc.
2. The MGOCSM Choir: The MGOCSM formed a choir and has been singing at the Malayalam as well as at the English Qurbana on selected occasions.
3. Soul Fiesta, 2016: Our church participated and helped in organising the Soul Fiesta, 2016, the annual Vashi zone festival held at St. Marys Church, Vashi. Many of our children participated in the competitions and won prizes at the fest held on the 14th of August, 2016.
4. Onam: On the 25th of September, the church celebrated Onam. The MGOCSM co-ordinated with the managing committee and the other spiritual organisations to organise the Onam 2016 program at our church. There were cultural programs put up by the various spiritual organisations and games that were arranged and the program culminated with a fantastic onam sadhya.
5. Couples for Christ: The MGOCSM volunteers arranged for a session “Couples for Christ” for the couples of the church on 16th October, 2016. Mrs. Sujatha Abraham, conducted a few amazing sessions with them while our volunteers helped take care of their children. Our little tots were able to put up a little show for their parents post the session under the guidance of Abin Thomas. It was a fun session and the program culminated after lunch.
6. AURA, 2016: Our parish participated at Aura, 2016, the Mumbai Diocese Carol singing competition. 22 participants under the guidance of Mr. Ajil Philip participated at the event held at Holy Angels School, Dombivli on 11th of December, 2016. The group performed well and ranked among the top ten out of seventeen teams that participated.
7. A Day with the Balikagram inmates: On the 15th of January, 2017, the inmates of Balikagram, Dehu Road came over to our church and participated at the Holy Qurbana. Rev Sr. Elizabeth, Sr. Elsa and Sr. Sophia accompanied the children. They lead the choir as well for the day. Post the Holy Qurbana, the MGOCSM arranged for a cultural program for the children as well as the sisters who accompanied them. The children from Balikagram also put up a few performances for us. The event was a success and the fun filled day culminated with lunch and a game of treasure hunt. It was truly an amazing experience to meet the wonderful kids of Balikagram.
MGOCSM Office Bearers:
Vice President: John Jesudasan.
Secretary: Shyju Thomas
Treasurer: Liya Jose
Jt. Secretary: Leon George.